A modern woman leads a hectic lifestyle since she holds a job just like her male counterparts. Gone are the days when women were expected to stay at home to look after their family needs, and especially the sexual needs of their partner. Today, many women suffer from low sexual drive also referred to as a low libido. Statistics from a study carried out in 2006 showed that 40 percent of women suffer from low libido.
Low sexual drive is caused by both psychological and physical factors such as relationship issues, hormonal imbalances, busy schedules and pressure from work. It is now a fact that more women are suffering from low libido compared to men. However, it is important for a woman to increase her sexual drive since she deserves sexual satisfaction whether she is going through menopause, or experiencing hormonal imbalance. There are several ways of heightening sexual desire such as using creams or gels.
Female libido gels and creams
Libido enhancement gels and creams are topical applications that are becoming quite popular with women. This is because they work very fast as they are applied directly on the skin. After application, the gel or cream is absorbed into the skin producing instant results. Another benefit associated with gels and creams is that their treatment is localized as they only have an effect on the desired region. These libido enhancing gels are widely available in pharmacies at an affordable cost.
How do they work?
Libido gels and creams are applied on the clitoris region by gently massaging them with your finger tips. After application, the cream is absorbed into the skin and starts working within five minutes. Gels increase the flow of blood into the clitoris blood vessels, leading to a full arousal. When blood streams into women’s genitals, it increases the intensity and sensitivity of an orgasm. Gels and creams also eliminate vaginal dryness by moisturizing the vagina, making penetration easier. These libido enhancement creams and gels also tighten the vaginal muscles and makes women more responsive to touch.
Popular gels and creams used
Intivar: Intivar gel contains a special herbal ingredient manjakani that helps in tightening the vagina. Vagina slackness is common in many women who give birth normally and often reduces sexual pleasure. Intivar gel also causes instant lubrication and causes muscle relaxation. The gel helps in eliminating painful sex as it prevents thinning by rejuvenating the vagina walls.
Most libido gels and creams are made from natural ingredients that are neither harsh, nor addictive. They do not produce any harmful side effects and are safe to use. The ingredients do not contain any hormones so they will not trigger any hormonal imbalance in the body.
Couples go through stages of change every day. From work stresses to home and children stresses, men and women both are affected by these events throughout a relationship. It is easy for a relationship to get sidetracked and put on the back burner when other responsibilities take the priority. However, your relationship is a priority and should be treated like one.
Yes, we know, relationships take work and sometimes we are just to exhausted to put any extra effort forth. Our partner loves us so they will understand, right? While there is some truth to that, we shouldn’t be so quick to rely on this excuse for too long. Relationships that are not nurtured and cared for will eventually cease to exist.
We know that women react to the stresses of life much differently than men. Women tend to withdraw from the relationship and deal with the source of stress. This normally causes issues in the bedroom as women feel too tired or stressed to have a sexual relationship. Female libido is affected by many factors such as work, stress, family, and the relationship itself.
Creating balance between you and your partner
Most couples think that intimacy only happens in the bedroom, but that doesn’t always hold true. Emotional intimacy is the key to a healthy and happy relationship. Learning how to talk to each other and stay connected even through the stressful times is the glue that holds the relationship together. Learning to share your fears, joys and insecurities with your partner is what emotional intimacy is all about.
So when do we ‘do’ this emotional intimacy thing when life is swirling around us, you ask? You make the time! One of the best ways to keep a relationship new and fresh is to continue to date your partner just as you did when you first started seeing each other. You remember those great date nights when you were so in love, and nothing existed in life but each other? You can still have those same feelings again.
Dating your partner
There is nothing more romantic than going out on a special date with the love of your life. Leave behind work, the house, the kids and whatever else is going on in your crazy life and spend some quality, intimate time with your partner. Create a new tradition in your relationship and create a date night/day event. If you are so busy that you can only get one night in a week, so be it!
Date night doesn’t have to be about an expensive dinner. Remember, it is about making time to be together. No talking about the kid’s schedule, or who is going to call to schedule the gutter cleaning for the house. This is your time. Time to smile, hold hands, and flirt a little for gush sakes. Learn how to have fun with each other. You will find that rekindling that old flame is not so hard after all.
Date nights with purpose
If you ask any couple that routinely has a date night, you will get all sorts of answers about what they do during their time. Sharing something that you both love, like bike riding or hiking, for instance. One of my favorites is going to a nearby Starbucks. Grab a cup of coffee, slide your hand into your partner’s and take a nice walk together. This gives you time to relax and talk. There are your standard dinner dates and movie dates, but they are all good if they accomplish the goal of building a healthy relationship inside the bedroom, as well as outside!
There are many reasons why someone might lose the spark in their relationship. Today, many women are caught up in the hectic pace of trying to juggle work, family and social obligations. The stress that comes with being so busy often makes it difficult to summon up the desire or even find the time for sex. A lowered libido can also have a physical cause. The changing hormones that come with menopause can dampen sexual urges while also causing physical changes such as vaginal dryness that can make achieving orgasm more challenging. When a woman has trouble with a lowered libido, her confidence will often take a dive as she worries that she may lose her relationship or miss out on the physical contact with her partner that she once craved. For most women, knowing the causes of a lowered libido and how to correct them can put them back on track for having a satisfying sexual relationship.
Negative Impacts on Libido
A woman’s libido can be influenced by several different factors. The reasons behind a woman’s loss of libido will depend upon her individual lifestyle and physical health. Some of the most common causes of lost libido are related to stress. Women who are struggling with relationship, work or family issues can have difficulty relaxing enough to enjoy sex. Self-confidence also plays a major role in a woman’s interest in sex. If she has recently gained weight or had major physical changes occur to her body, such as menopause or surgery, then she may feel concerned that she is no longer sexy enough to ignite her partner’s desire.
Ways to Increase Libido
Increasing the libido is as simple as fixing the cause of the problem. Keeping the body in good physical condition can work wonders for increasing sexual desire. Eating right, working out and losing weight can help a woman to feel healthier and sexier. Spending more time with her partner might also help her to re-kindle the romantic feelings that help to drive sexual desire. Some couples might also choose to experiment with special toys that are designed to stimulate desire and help women to achieve orgasm.
A Healthy Self-Esteem Equals a Healthy Libido
Women who are confident with their body and personality tend to have the highest levels of self-esteem. Self-confidence spills over into all aspects of a woman’s life. This can have a dramatic impact on a healthy libido. When a woman feels sexy, then she will be open to new and different experiences with her partner. This can drive her libido by helping her to have a better body image that radiates her beauty and confidence.
Ways to Increase Self-Confidence
Women can increase their self-confidence by taking care of their bodies. They should take steps to reduce stress in their work and home lives. Some other ways to boost self-confidence includes exercising and making healthy choices when eating. Many women also find that dressing sexier and making sure that they look their best can help to put the spark back into their relationship. When their partner responds favorably to the changes in a woman’s appearance, then her self-confidence will also dramatically increase.
When a woman experiences a lowered libido, it can have a strong impact on her romantic relationship as well as her self-esteem. A loss of libido is usually caused by a physical or emotional factor that can be remedied by making a few lifestyle changes. Discovering the reasons behind a sudden drop in libido and making the right adjustments, can lead to an increase in sexual desire and self-confidence for women.
Having a loving relationship brings personal serenity and happiness to women and men. Healthy sexual desires maintain the intimacy that keeps a marriage or partnership alive and enduring. The sexual libido is the fire under the sheets. But like many other aspects of life, a couple’s sex life can be reduced to an obligation rather than a fulfillment if certain medications rob a woman of physical or psychological feelings of arousal. These medical culprits are common drugs that are used to treat many illnesses and disorders.
If you find yourself confused or frustrated about your libido, taking a look at medications may provide answers to understanding why sexual excitement may not be present in your relationship.
Common types of medications linked to low libido
Some of the most common medications that have been connected to low sex drive are antidepressants, high blood pressure medications, chemotherapy treatments and anti-HIV drugs. SSRIs which are found in well recognized antidepressants such as Prozac, Paxil and Zoloft have been identified as possible suspects for libido dysfunctions.
Medical research has not conclusively linked high blood pressure in women to depressed sex drives but it is important to know that arousal and orgasms are obtained through vascular functions. A common complaint about high blood pressure medications for women is that it causes lack of lubrication. If depression and lethargy have a strong grip on your mood, blood pressure medicines could be the source of your lack of sexual energy.
The use of chemotherapy drugs to fight cancer is crucial in treating most cancers but, unfortunately, there is a price to pay for this course of treatment. A woman’s ovaries can be temporarily or permanently harmed by the use of chemotherapy medications. Mucous membranes such as the vagina can become irritated or inflamed causing painful intercourse.
The last category of drugs in this discussion is anti-HIV drug medications. Megace and AZT have shown side effects that cause lack of sexual desire. Someone who is HIV positive may have loss of libido because of a decrease in testosterone or T-cells.
Your best approach to dealing with side effects from medications is to discuss your symptoms and concerns with your doctor. A change in dosage or medicine may give you some relief and help you regain your desire to enjoy sexual intimacy with your partner.
Men who are in relationships with women who have difficulties with arousal can help their partners by being patient and supportive. A woman’s physician and a caring spouse or partner may help a woman overcome her lack of sexual desire. Advice from a qualified doctor will educate men as well as women about how to bring back an enjoyable sex life.
In order to treat certain illnesses, medications are necessary despite their side effects. Together with your doctor and your knowledge of the effects of specific drugs, you can find alternative ways to treat your medical problems and still have a pleasurable sex life with your special life partner. Love, sex and passion make our relationships worth fighting for.
Are you losing sexual desire? Are you swarmed with work and family commitment? Sometimes low libido can be a deal breaker in a relationship. As much as we want to blame Hollywood movies for their explicit portrayal of sex and intimacy, the bottom line is when your partner is not getting enough sexual gratification, the temptation to seek other avenues for that increases. As such, women either find themselves going out of their way to please their partner or often blame themselves for lacking sexual desire. Here we will discuss how to combat stress and regain your libido.
Typical causes of stress for women and how they can affect female libido
- Work. Pleasing your bosses, dealing with office politics, doing everything you can to secure employment, handling fussy customers, managing uncooperative subordinates, meeting project deadlines and more. This is probably the key contributor to chronic stress because of multiple parties to the equation whether you are working full-time, part-time or juggling several jobs. Your mind spends more time thinking about calculated moves, improving your work performance which may involve a change in the usual way you do things can be stressful. When your mind is pre-occupied with such thoughts and merticulous planning it will get tired when you get home.
- Parenting. Whether you are a stay-at-home-mom or a working mom, wanting the best for your kids can really take a toll on your libido as you spend more time away from your interests. Nobody said being a mom was easy. You are in charge of the well-being of your family members that you tend to get overwhelmed with responsibility. If you don’t have help at your disposal you don’t have opportunities for romantic getaways. Gradually thoughts of wanting the best for your kids take priority over sexual desires with your spouse.
- Finance. Are you responsible for paying off debts, loans, mortgages and bills? Some of you may even be the sole breadwinner. Saving up for a bigger house also creates stress because you can’t spend money on things you want for yourself. If you are still in debt and living from paycheck to paycheck, you will find yourself constantly worrying about making ends meet because you have to keep your job in order to stay afloat.
Actions you can take to reduce stress in life
Easier said than done, there really are simple solutions that can help you regain your libido but much of their success will come from your commitment to making them happen.
- Get organized. Do you have too much to do in too little time? Try prioritizing and concentrating on tasks that bring fulfilment and delegating those that stress you out the most. The key to feeling contented is accomplishment, the less you feel you have to do the less stressful life will become.
- Relaxation. Allocate at least 30 minutes daily for pure relaxation alone. If you have trouble winding down or napping then pamper yourself with a massage or get your partner to do it. Make sure you have at least 7 hours continuous sleep overnight. Sleep is healthy as it helps your body regain its pre-stressed state.
- Please yourself. Make it a habit to make yourself happy regularly by doing things you love that will not involve others. The trick to being less stressed is to realize you are important, when you’re happy, others will soon be.
How less stress can improve libido
When you are stressed, your body produces adrenaline and hormones that try to cope with stress. As such it causes a hormonal imbalance that will greatly affect your general well-being. That is why stressed out people tend to display all sorts of emotions ranging from depression to anger. By contrast a less stressed person is calm, level-headed, and is more receptive to taking things in stride like getting into the mood for sex. There is always time for everything, even sex. To really enjoy sex you will need to stay calm so that you are able to focus on what you’re doing. In order to stay calm you have to be stress-free. Unfortunately for some of us, sex may be the sole binding element in our relationship. As it may take considerable amount of time switching over to a stress-free lifestyle, an oral supplement can help jumpstart your libido.
Many women are suffering with a low libido for a variety of reasons. The causes of a low female libido has been linked to hormonal changes during menopause and pregnancy, stress, depression and even medication side effects. Enhancing the female libido is important in sustaining fulfilling, intimate relationships. Unfortunately, a large percentage of women are unable to achieve a heightened level, or any level, of sexual arousal. Many lack the desire to even connect with their partner in an intimate manner. The intimacy shared in lovemaking is a necessary component in a relationship. It is so important to connect with your partner in this way. The daily stresses of life can rob a woman of sexual satisfaction. Many relationships can become strained and struggle because of lack of physical intimacy. Often times women are busy with the children, home, work and so much more, while unfortunately neglecting their own needs and desires, as well as their partners.
The popularity of herbal supplements in treating low female libido
Herbal supplements have become popular in treating low female libido issues. Many women suffering with a low libido are desperate to find a solution. Herbal supplements are known to boosts a woman’s sex drive, balance female hormones and decrease vaginal dryness. They also attribute to more satisfying and intense sex. The benefits of herbal supplements are responsible for awakening the sex drives of many women. The growing popularity of herbal supplements for low libido may be because of their ability to solve the issue quickly and with minimal side effects.
What herbal supplements do enhance female libido
Herbal supplements actually increase the hormones a woman’s body may be lacking, which can cause a lower libido. Lower levels of testosterone in woman will cause a low libido. The herbal supplements provide increased blood circulation to the clitoral area for enhancing stimulation. Herbal supplements are also cited as reducing PMS symptoms, relieving stress and improving your energy level and overall mood naturally.
Common herbal supplements on the market
There are many different herbal supplements on the market today to assist in improving female libido. Among the most common are Provestra and Her Solution. Both supplements are all natural and safe to take with most medications. These herbal supplements claim to enhance female libido and give woman sexual satisfaction. Provestra is doctor endorsed and claims to significantly revamp female libido and sexual desire. While Her Solution promises to improve female libido and create intense sexual encounters.
Safety of herbal supplements for female libido enhancement
Herbal supplements are a safe, natural way to increase female libido. Herbal supplements consist of 100% natural blends of herbs, nutrients and aphrodisiacs to relieve symptoms causing low female libido. They are safe to use with medication,including birth control. Through clinical studies and doctor recommendations, herbal supplements are a proven breakthrough in enhancing low female libido.
Herbal supplements are a great option to enhance low female libido. Herbal supplements allow women to overcome the challenges associated with low female libido. Herbal supplements will give women healthy sexual desire and enhance sexual experience.
In this article, we’re going to be taking a detailed look at the key ingredients of Her Solution, including what they are, what their main effects are and any side effects or known contraindications.
PLEASE NOTE: The side effects listed here are side effects found of these items when used at quanitites which are NOT used in Her Solution. There are no reported side effects of Her Solution. This level of detail here is for those people who really want the nitty-gritty detail on the key ingredients of this product.
As always, if you are taking medications or have a chronic illness such as heart disease, diabetes or kidney disease and want to try Her Solution, then make sure your visit your doctor to discuss before you start taking it.
Known as vitamin B3, Niacin is used in metabolizing energy.
- Main effects: It is used to improve blood circulation and increase blood flow to the genital area. This action is believed to enhance the production of sex hormones.
- Side Effects Reported: This vitamin can produce a rash or skin flushing if too much is used. Normal Niacin levels should not cause any issues.
- Contraindications: Diabetics should reconsider Niacin use since it may affect the blood sugar. Persons with ulcers, gout, epilepsy and liver disease should only use this vitamin under doctor’s supervision.
Hops Extract (Flower)
Hops Extract is a natural treatment that is derived from the same plant that is used to brew beer. Grown in Europe, Asia and North America, the extract is made from just the female parts of the plants.
- Main effects: This plant treats insomnia, relieves vaginal dryness, improves estrogen production, increases lubrications and enables more enjoyable sexual activities.
- Side Effects Reported: Currently, there have been no serious side effects reported. Like all supplements, take the recommended dose and always use under medical supervision.
- Contraindications: People suffering from depression or taking sedatives may find that Hops Extract can enhance these symptoms.
With a long history as an aphrodisiac, Mucuna pruriens contains a natural source of L-Dopa. L-Dopa is chemically similar to dopamine which is the brain’s pleasure chemical.
- Main effects: Mucuna pruriens increases libido, promotes ovulation, alleviates depression, increases lean muscle mass and reduces anxiety.
- Side Effects Reported: Common side effects include stomach irritation, bloating and nausea. Infrequently, headaches and insomnia may occur.
- Contraindications: There currently is not enough information on this drub to reliably say who should not take it. Women who are pregnant and breast-feeding should avoid using this product until a later date.
Used around the world for thousands of years, Gingko biloba is famed for its effects on improving mental focus and clarity. In China, this supplement has been used for a long time to improve sexual function.
- Main effects: This plant is used to increase blood flow, enhance orgasms and improve symptoms of PMS. Enhancing the desire for sex, Gingko biloba also improves a remarkable number of mental capacities. Naturalists use this plant to treat fatigue, headaches, Alzheimer’s disease and depression.
- Side Effects Reported: Some people have reported an increased incidence of allergies, weakness, diarrhea and dizziness.
- Contraindications: People who are taking anticoagulants or antidepressants should consult with a doctor before taking Gingko biloba. Pregnant women should also plan on using it in smaller doses.
This plant has been used in Asia, the Mediterranean and Korea for over 1,000 years to improve sexual function, treat joint pain and improve kidney disorders.
- Main effects: Epimedium sagitattum is believed to work by relaxing smooth muscles. This allows the clitoris to receive a greater level of blood flow and enhances the likelihood of an orgasm. Menopausal women also use it to relieve some of the symptoms associated with menopause.
- Side Effects Reported: When used for a long period of time or in high doses, Epimedium sagitattum can produce dizziness, dry mouth, thirst, vomiting and nose bleeds. In select cases, heart arrhythmia has occurred.
- Contraindications: Not enough is not about Epimedium sagitattum and its usage during pregnancy. During this time, it is considered possibly unsafe. The supplement may also lower blood pressure in people who already have a low blood pressure level.
This seasoning is not just for use in the kitchen—it also operates as a powerful erotic supplement. By enhancing the sexual experience, it can provide a heightened sexual experience and improved desired.
- Main effects: Cayenne increases the blood flow to body organs, intensifies orgasms, increases lubrication and improves the health of sexual organs.
- Side Effects Reported: Generally, this product reports no side effects.
- Contraindications: Cayenne seeds can be toxic and should be never used as a supplement. Pregnant or breast-feeding women and people who suffer from allergic reactions should not take cayenne. During prolonged periods of time, there is a risk that cayenne overdoses can result in liver damage and stomach issues.
This endogenous hormone is secreted by the adrenal gland. As a precursor to female sex hormones, DHEA can improve sexuality.
- Main effects: The main effects of DHEA are to improve sexuality and well-being of women suffering from an adrenal deficiency. Women who took DHEA had an increase in the number of times they thought about sex and their personal satisfaction.
- Side Effects Reported: No serious side effects have been reported for oral DHEA intake. In some instances, mild acne has increased.
- Contraindications: Although it is generally deemed safe, elderly women have reported rare cases where there was a slight increase in facial hair growth
Responsible for the regulation of sleep cycles, melatonin also plays a role in balancing the female reproductive system.
- Main effects: This chemical mainly regulates and balances the reproductive system while simultaneously improving sleep. It induces sleepiness and is used to treat jet lag or insomnia.
- Side Effects Reported: Users of melatonin showed the same rates of dizziness, headaches and nightmares of participants in the placebo group.
- Contraindications: Melatonin can interact with other herbs or medications that are being concurrently taken. Pregnant and nursing women should avoid using this product.
The herbs discussed in the article were:
- Cannabis (!!)
Damiana will be familiar to those who may have been reading about the ingredients of Provestra – one of the most popular female enhancement products.
Both Provestra and Her Solution (the two most popular female libido products) contain a mix of herbs and natural substances with known aphrodisiac and general health benefits that contribute to female reproductive health and sexual stimulation. We have detailed reviews of both of these products here on the site:
Now as for cannabis, I’m not sure where you are in the world, but where I am, cannabis is illegal and so I’m not even going to go there!
Well, it sort of is about that and it’s also to tell let you know the reason I haven’t posted that frequently lately is that we have a new baby in the house!
Yep, a new little daughter which has been fun, exciting and somewhat tiring – as you’d expect.
The whole issue of pregnancy and female libido I’ll leave for another post, but I thought I’d talk a little bit about how having a new baby around can impact upon your relationship and your libido.
The effects of having a new baby on female libido
- Tiredness – This has to be the biggest issue when you have a new baby. They require feeding and changing and they just don’t sleep to your schedule. Coping with this lack of sleep really takes its toll on you as well as your partner (depending on how helpful and involved they are!). Wanting to be intimate is often the last thing on your mind and sleep is the first!
- Lack of alone time – Remember when it used to be just the two of you? Yup, well not anymore! Even if you have another child already, chances are you’ve worked out a way that things work in your household. A new baby throws all of that out the window as greater demands are placed on your time and the possibility of catching a little quality one on one time are slim.
- Body recovery – Whether you’ve had a normal vaginal delivery or a caesarian section, your body will need to recover. You’re not likely to even want to consider the thought of sex for at least 6 weeks – but realistically, it’s more like about 10.
- Body image – Having a baby grow inside of you does some weird and wonderful things to your body, there’s no doubt! After the baby is out it takes quite a while for your body to return to normal size and shape – and it may even be that your body shape is never quite the same (unless you’re a rock star with 6 hours to spend in the gym each day and a personal trainer). It may take some time for you to come to terms with the alterations in your body and be comfortable with how you look.
What you can do to recover your libido after having a new baby
- Get more sleep – Face it, you will be getting less sleep overnight. Now, take action, find a way to get back that sleep at other times of the day. Go to bed really early. Take a nap when you’re baby is sleeping. Sometimes you just have to put yourself first and getting sleep needs to become a priority for you. Take it whenever you can!
- Give yourself time – Give yourself permission to recover, for your body to recover, for your mind to get back into the swing of feeling sexy, to find a way to make your life work again and fit everything that you need to do into it! Don’t expect to be a sex goddess at week 1, just take it slow and you will get there.
- Schedule adult time together – At some point, perhaps once you’ve worked out how to fit in the cooking, cleaning, feeding, sleeping, you’ll need to fit in time for you and your partner. It’s just so easy when you have children to take up all of your time and energy on them and this can sometimes be to the detriment of your relationship. Remember that your intimate relationship with your partner is important and accordingly you need to find time to dedicate to it. In the good old days before children you could just be spontaneous but as life gets busier you may need to actively schedule time for each other. It’s worth it.
- Eat healthy and Exercise – Good advice all round really! Eating well and exercising has such overarching benefits in all areas of life. It makes you feel good, it increases your fitness and stamina, it helps you reach or maintain a healthy weight, it’s great for self esteem.
As early as our thirties and forties our bodies begin to show signs of aging. This can include an increase in body fat, decreased energy, changes in our skin, reduced mental abilities and a reduction in libido. As a result of this there are a plethora of supplements, creams, lotions and potions to combat each of these various effects.
I came across an article recently discussing an anti-aging supplement called TA-65 which is a telomerase activation supplement. According to this article from the Anti-aging Institute in San Francisco, studies have found that preserving youth is related to the telomeres, which are stretches of DNA found on the ends of each chromosome in the body. Apparently the telomeres shorten as we age and this can lead to a loss of vibrancy as well as health issues associated with aging.
You can read the full article here. This leads me to thinking is the use of anti-aging supplements generally a valid approach to enhancing libido?
Of course, low female libido can be caused by a range of things, some physical and some psychological or emotional, however, for those who are aging and think this may be a contributing factor to their loss of sexual desire, perhaps anti-aging supplements are a valid consideration.
There are many anti-aging creams on the market for improving appearance, such as Kollagen Intensiv, as well as anti-aging supplements such as GenF20Plus which aim to increase overall health and vitality.
I haven’t tried any anti-aging solutions myself, however, it’s something to think about and I wouldn’t rule it out!
Have you used an anti-aging supplement and would you recommend it? Should we use anti-aging supplements at all? I’d love to hear your thoughts and experiences, so feel free to share your comments on this page.